Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Travels and Other Stuff

Hi all, sorry for the delay in updating my blog; there's actually been a lot going on lately. Perhaps the biggest news: a few weeks ago a nearby mountain called Mount Hudson started spewing ash and smoke. It's easily visible from here so we watched it for a few days waiting to see if it was going to blow. After a few days it died out with a whimper which, according to seismologists, means one of two things: it's calming down or it has become plugged and is currently building up pressure on its way to an epic eruption.

Mt Hudson from the NOLS branch


Volcan Hudson

And of course I have a few photos from around el campo including some of our new mascot, lambekins. There's also been a bit of night photography, kayaking and climbing thrown in.


Lambekins

The Milky Way



At the beginning of the month I went on a week-long work trip to meet up with 3 different courses in the field. We drove 7 hours south, 6 of which were on the "highway", which is really a one-lane dirt road.

Between meeting up with the various groups of students I stayed alone at a campground on the shore of Lago General Carrera (more about this in the next post), which is the second largest lake in South America. I spent my 30th birthday there and had lots of students and instructors (both Chilenos and Gringos) singing happy birthday to me. It was a great day that I won't forget! Here are some pics from the trip.

View of Cerro Castillo
Restaurant bus near Cerro Castillo
Not a bad view for lunch.



Asado! Which is not a student?

Moving the students
Rio Baker
Lago General Carrera
Lago General Carrera
This is Harvey. He's Chilean and I understood nothing he said. He liked to drive me around with his lawn mower.


Birthday cake!As usual, I have no idea what Elicer's doing here.
Doing some work for once


Los Chilenos








1 comment:

  1. There are so many things I love in these pictures!
    - Lambekins!!! More pics of him please!
    - Bright green river
    - Classic birthday cake (I thought it might be different down there)
    - What appears to be a small cookout, except the giant array of MEAT!

    ReplyDelete